Friday, December 09, 2005

Sending Things To Earth

Katamari. Katarmari Damacy. That crap has turned my world UPSIDE down. It's steamrolled me. Rolled me into a ball...and made me smile. What is it? The short answer: a video game for the PS2 (that's the system that still works). After my X-Box gave me the crazy red eye, I went back to my dusty mistress...the PS2. I forgot how awesome it felt to be deafened by that beast. It's loud...but strangely calming. The constant "wrrrrrrrrrr" of the fan or the disc spinning...I dunno. But it competes with the Honeywell electric heater.
My PS2 came back into my life with Resident Evil 4. After seeing the commercials on tv, I went out and rented it. Holy crap. Awesome game. Different than the other ones in that the bad guys aren't exactly zombies. At first, I was bummed. But then I realized "Hey, their brains still splatter on the wall just like a zombie. I can still kick their heads off like a zombie...awesome." The bosses were freakin' rad too. Scary.
Eventually I beat the game and returned it. I felt empty. My PS2 lay dormant beneath the tv. I needed another fix. But I needed something not too intense. I was still reeling from RE4.
So I picked up Katamari: Damacy. Holy shit. The graphics could've been from the Nintendo 64. But...but...it was so....cute...and basic. No buttons required. Just what I needed. Oh, and the music. The effing music. AWESOME.
The whole premise is insane. You're this Prince of the cosmos...the son of King of all Cosmos. Who happens to be a raging drunk. He got wasted and broke all the stars. So he sends his son to earth (just like Jesus!) to clean up his mess. He gives you a Katamari (a sticky ball...neeyahahahaha!) to roll things up on. You start with thumbtacks, as your ball gets bigger (go to the Doctor) you roll up bigger things. Soon you're rolling up entire cities.
The whole game, the King treats the Prince like crap. All the while, the Prince is rolling up mice, birds, cows, cars, buildings, clouds, giant squids...to give to the King. Who then tosses the heaps of rolled up debris into the sky...turning them into stars. Every cut scene involves this little girl who says "I feel it. I feel the cosmos..." Creepy.
Not only are you making individual stars, you're making constellations. For Virgo, you hafta roll up a buncha girls. For Cancer, you're rolling up crabs. Just like my brother...but I'm pretty sure he never made a constellation from them.
Now I guess there's a sequel. That I'll be playing.
My favorite thing to roll up? Mice. They scream....oh, how they scream.

2 comments:

Rycrisp said...

Chris, there's some kids on your lawn. Go get em'!

Claire L. Fishback said...

That game sounds AWESOME. I'm gonna have to check it out.