Friday, October 28, 2005

Last Weekend

5 o' clock Friday. LAST Friday. A trailer is being towed through the crowded streets of Calgary. The pilot of the towing vehicle glances at the directions on the seat, looks at the street signs. Talks on the phone and sips on some OJ. One "detour" and a few hours later than expected, he arrives.
"Hey Pop!!" That's right, the other CRL was in town. No. Not Ralph Lauren. What THAT be like, though? I mean, Ralph Lauren as your Dad? Is that even possible? Like. Does he dig the ladies? "Why does our son waste his time playing sports? What am I supposed to tell the guys at Fashion HQ?" "Oh, honey, it' just a phase. He's rebelling." "But why can't he rebel by wearing courdoroy? Or taking modern dance instead of ballet?"
You know what? My Dad really IS that confused about sports! Huh.
Upon his arrival, the wife and I got into the Blazer and headed to the RV park. In Okotoks. Does that name look like it would be in the middle of nowhere? Really? Because it effing is. It took us an hour to get to the RV park. But it was nice.
Once we got the trailer (if it's a rockin', just cover your ears and throw rocks) set up, we headed back into town. Dinner time. We hit up Kodo. It's an awesome Vietnamese restaurant. We were lucky enough to get our favorite server. I'm pretty sure he splits his time at Wal-Mart as a greeter. After that, we headed back home. Pop checked his e-mail and got his internet fix. I unpacked all the cool crap that he'd brought. The coolest? My bike. A close second? Magnets.
On Saturday, we went for lunch. A late lunch. We were due to have dinner that evening with Angela's parents and sister. So we ate light. Pop ordered the Ribs, chicken, baked potato and Ceasar Salad. I had a Club sammich.
We ended the afternoon with some DVD shopping. I got Creepshow, Night of the Living Dead and a Horror 3 pack. Thanks Pop! He hooked himself up with the Unforgiven special edition. Pretty happy about that.
Then, dinner time. We headed to this steak n' pizza joint. This is mere hours after eating lunch. We order some huge effing pizzas. I eat one slice. Oh, and poutine. We ate poutine. I don't know why. But, it was pretty good. I guess. The in laws and I proceeded to get into an argument over whether or not the McDonald's in Vancouver served poutine. I done seen it with my own eyes. They didn't believe me. For whatever reason, though, it was completely plausible that Burger King would serve it. I'll be calling that McDonald's to confirm the poutineness of the establishment. I'll SHOW THEM ALL!
After dinner, we couldn't decide on a Haunted House. So we came back home and watched Creepshow. WHERE'S MY CAKE?!!!! Oh man. Good times.
When Sunday rolled around, my dad decided to leave in the middle of the night. It was like one. I couldn't believe it. But we made him breakfast and sent him on his way.
It was a great trip. Always nice to see family/friends up here. Especially when they bring some of my crap with em'! Thanks again for the awesome time, pop! Love ya!

4 comments:

Randy Leonard said...

I had one of the best trips I have ever been on.

I got to sleep in a Home Depot parking lot on the way up in Sandpoint, Idaho.

The next night I stayed at Fairmont Hotsprings, BC. Very cool and I love the natural hot springs pools. I would heartily recommend it to anyone.

It was great seeing my son and daughter in law. A's parents and sister are very fun to be around.

On the way back I for the first time noticed that the Columbia River headwaters are right there for all to see in southern British Columbia.

I will be back but this time I will come when I can stay at the RV Park near downtown Calgary. No more one hour commutes to get back to my little abode.

The trailer got its first real try out since the big remodel. Flat screen tv, dvd player and am/fm cd player along with the new queen bed and couch were an excellent place to watch some good tv and catch some zzss at...It is a perfect trailer.

Love Ya, Dad

Anonymous said...

Karl, Angela is still trying to get the apartment smelling like it did before you came the first time. Give it a while, dude.

Randy Leonard said...

Uh, Karl, we talked about why you could not come...to remind you, two reasons:

1- Quit smoking so you don't stink up my little trailer (you told me to eff off).

2- Quit telling me and Emily to eff off.

Randy Leonard said...

Karl-
Call your Dad!